February 2018 Sunshine School Newsletter
Mark your calendar for a few special events coming up:
- PINK Day, Thursday 2/1: Be sure to wear PINK to school!
- Clementine Tasting, Wednesday 2/6: Preschool students will learn about and taste clementines!
- Valentine’s Fun Day, Wednesday 2/14, 10am: Preschool students will have a morning of Valentine crafts, games, and snacks to celebrate the holiday. If your child is not enrolled on this day he/she is welcome to come to this event if accompanied by a parent. Please let your child’s teacher know in advance.
- Cabbage Tasting, Tuesday, 2/20: Preschool students will learn about and taste cabbages!
- Teddy Bear Picnic, Tuesday, 2/27: Preschool students should invite their favorite teddy bear or other stuffed animal to come enjoy a morning of preschool. Teddy bears will join their students for a special picnic lunch (indoor or outdoor, depending on weather).
- BROWN Day, Thursday 2/22: Be sure to wear BROWN to school!
Don’t forget to plan ahead for the beginning of March. Grandparent’s Day is on Friday 3/2. Preschool students can invite 1 or 2 grandparents or other special guests to come join them for a morning of preschool (8:30 am – 10:00 am). Our guests will get to participate in morning music time, circle time, and a special activity time together with students. Due to space limitations, please only invite one or two visitors per student. Additionally, we will not be able to open this event to students who do not normally attend on Tuesdays. If your student attends on other days of the week and would like to bring a special guest on a different day, please talk to your child’s teacher. This is a preschool event. Grandparents are also welcome to come visit students in the Infant and Wobbler classrooms, but there will not be any special accommodations in those age groups for this event.
Please remember to keep an eye on the weather in these winter months. In cases of inclement weather, we will follow the Portland Public School District’s decisions to close or have late openings. In the event of an inclement weather closure, the school voicemail will be changed to include this information, so you will be able to call the school to confirm this decision. Also, please remember to send your student to school this season with a warm coat, weather-appropriate shoes, and even a hat and gloves if needed. Our students go outside to play daily, unless it is raining, and we want to be sure your student is cozy and warm on the playground!
Please remember we are a “Well Child” Center. Please note the following symptoms, as outlined by the Oregon Childcare Division, which prohibit a child from attending school. “A center shall not admit or retain in care, except with the written approval of the local health office, a child who has one of the following symptoms, or combination of symptoms, of illness:
Fever over 101 degrees Fahrenheit
Diarrhea (more than one abnormally loose stool per day)
Above are the most common of the listings. Children may return to school 24 hours after the last occurrence of vomiting or diarrhea. If you are unsure, please contact the office or your physician before bringing your child to school.
Sunshine School Director
503-775-1533, ext. 1